Bjork & Trio Gudmandar Ingolfssonar 'Gling Glo' 2xLP
• Björk and Guðmundar Ingólfssonar’s critically acclaimed Icelandic jazz album, ‘Gling-Glo’, has been repressed using the Direct Metal Master cut via One Little Indian.
• Originally released in 1990 on Smekkleysa (Bad Taste), the album went platinum, becoming the label’s best seller.
• The first 14 songs are from this original issue, while the last two tracks (and the only songs sung in English – ‘Ruby Baby’ and ‘I Can’t Help Loving That Man’) are drawn from a rehearsal recording made a year prior to the album.
• Björk’s elastic, somersaulting voice is right at home delivering these traditional Icelandic and jazz tunes. Happy songs performed by Björk with the Icelandic jazz group trio Guðmundar Ingólfssonar really showcase her voice and reveal how her unique singing style shares some common ground with scatting.
• The trio consists of pianist Guðmundar Ingólfssonar (who, contrary to popular rumour, is not Björk’s father), Gudmundur Steingrímsson on drums and Thórdur Högnason on bass.
• Björk performed with this trio a few times before they recorded’Gling-Glo’ and everyone must’ve had a good time because the album captures the group moving through a mixture of jazz numbers and Icelandic songs with a free and easy feel.
Catalogue number: TPLP61DMM
Label: One Little Indian