Darkstar & Gwilym Gold 'Rope / Folk' 12"
• Soundtrack to the ‘Some Greater Class’ collaborative performance between Darkstar, Gwilym Gold and director-choreographer Holly Blakey.
• The performance was commissioned by Hales Gallery and supported by Arts Council in 2015 and explores the complexities and contradictions of contemporary performance and its context to a mesmerising electronic soundtrack.
• London-based musician and composer Gwilym Gold has developed a strong relationship with The Vinyl Factory in the past year - previous releases include recordings from the 2015 edition of Doug Aitken’s ‘Station To Station’ on the ‘Greener World’ EP and two 12”s featuring tracks ‘Flex’, plus a rework from Zomby and ‘Muscle’, on Eddie Peake’s imprint Hymn.
• August 2015 saw the release of ‘A Paradise’, his critically-lauded debut solo album featuring co- production contributions from James Young of Darkstar, True Panther artist Hyetal and Bullion, whilst four songs feature composer Nico Muhly’s verdant, dizzying string arrangements.
• James Young and Aiden Whalley began making music together in London in 2007, releasing their first compositions ‘Dead 2 Me’ and ‘Break’ under the name Darkstar on their own 2010 Records label. After albums with Kode9’s esteemed label, Hyperdub, they more recently released their third album, ‘Foam Island’, via Warp Records.
Catalogue number: VF221
Label: The Vinyl Factory